Monday, October 8, 2012

Puppets: Idea #8

In the lower elementary grades kids love puppet shows. Puppets are a great way to engage kids when they are learning something new. They especially enjoy the funny accents that teachers give their puppets. It is so entertaining for kids.

One thing I loved to do as a teacher was to introduce a letter sound using a puppet. For example, have a bird puppet introduce the b sound. Or a fairy introduce the f sound. My personal favorite was using a pirate puppet to introduce the p sound. My attempt at speaking like a pirate was quite humorous, but my students were totally engaged. From then on my students connected the p sound with pirate. 

Here are four different ideas for how to make your puppet:


1. Buy the puppet.
2. Make a paper bag puppet.
3. Make a finger puppet.
4. Make a sock puppet.


3 comments:

  1. I like it! I like that you have more options than just to buy a puppet,too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Haley! You are awesome to do this. I'll be checking back often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids aren't the only ones who love puppets! This is fun for everyone!

    ReplyDelete