Monday, October 1, 2012

Sounds Chart: Idea #1

Before one can learn how to read, one must master letter sounds. As a teacher I would use a sound chart to test my students, similar to the one below:

 I would use alphabet flashcards to test them on their sounds every day. When they knew a letter sound, they got to put a sticker on that letter (or color the letter box) on their sound chart. After they learned all of their 26 letter sounds, they got a special prize. 

This may seem like a simple idea, but the students loved it and were always so excited to put on another sticker or finally get their special prize. I made it into such a big deal every time they learned another sound. They need the positive reinforcement!

This chart may seem a little boring, but if you print them a chart that has pictures on it, it gives them too many clues as to what the letter sound is.


2 comments:

  1. I just printed out 3 of these letter charts for my two kids and a neighbor boy. Keep the great ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Haley! I will be starting this with Norah!

    ReplyDelete