Thursday, October 4, 2012

Letter Sound Tubs: Idea #4

Kids love tactile activities. A great way to let kids use their hands is to have letter sound tubs. The ones I used were from Lakeshore, but you can also make our own. All you need is a tub for each letter of the alphabet. Inside the tub put various objects that begin with that letter sound. For example, in the B tub a child might find: a bottle, a ball, a banana, a boat, etc. All of the objects are a small toy size.  It is fun for the child to take out each item and make the connection that they all begin with the same letter sound.

When I would introduce letter sounds to my class, I would use the letter sound tub to help them see what things started with that particular sound. I would even take the time to pass around each item/toy. That was their favorite part! The kids loved touching each thing.

Sometimes I would make it into a game where I would hide the item in my hand and describe it to the class. After I gave a few clues, the students had to figure out what the item in my hand was. This is a great way to help kids remember their letter sounds!

If you don't have the money to purchase the tubs from Lakeshore, you can make the tubs yourself using toys around your house or by buying small items from the dollar store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment