Saturday, March 9, 2013

Shaving Cream: Idea #161


When I taught second grade, I noticed that my students' desks would get so dirty. So, I turned a cleaning activity into a learning activity. I bought some shaving cream and put a little bit on each student's desk. The student then rubbed the shaving cream all over the top of the desk. Then I would call out a sight word and the students were to write the sight word in the shaving cream. 

Once all the students finished writing, I would tell how them how to spell the word correctly. Then the students would wipe their hands over the desk to erase it for a new word. I continued calling out words until we ran out of shaving cream. The kids never got bored playing this simple game.

At the end, all the kids got wet wash cloths and wiped off the remaining shaving cream on the desk. The desks looked great! I loved watching how far my students had come in not only their spelling but also their reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment