Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sight Word Readers: Idea #97

When I taught 1st grade I loved to use Sight Word Readers to practice sight words. 

FOR THE STUDENT: The Sight Word Reader set contains 25 different books that introduce 50 different sight words. There are five copies of each book, so you can read them together in a small group. Each book introduces two sight words. These sight words can be found on almost every page of the book. The books are simple reads and a great way to help your student gain some reading confidence. 

FOR THE TEACHER: There is also a special teaching guide where you can print off each book so your student can take them home and practice. My students loved taking the readers home. You can also find sight word worksheets and assessment forms.

ACTIVITY: Before we would read the story together, I would have my student find the two sight words in the book. For example, if the two sight words were: to and the, I would say, "Every time you see the word to in the book, highlight it green." Once they completed the task, I would say, "Every time you see the word the in the book, circle it blue." 

You could also try having your students do some type of action every time they read the word. For example, "Every time you read the word to, clap your hands" or "Every time you read the word the, stomp your feet." Kids love it. 

Check out these books at: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sight-word-readers-box-set-scholastic/1102594563?cm_mmc=googlepla-_-book-_-q000000633-_-9780545067669&cm_mmca2=pla&ean=9780545067669&isbn=9780545067669&r=1

I hope you find them as useful as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment